||[Apr. 12th, 2005|06:15 pm]
CURRY IS YUM!
i have no idea what else to call this other than|
THAI ALOO GOBHI
- 1/2 a white onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tsp thai red curry paste
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped small
- 1 med-large head cauliflower, chopped into med-small florets
- lots & lots o' lime juice
1. saute onions in canola or sunflower oil. when almost clear, add ginger & spices & fry for another few minutes.
2. add sweet potatoes. cook for a few minutes & then add veggie stock. bring to a boil until almost cooked.
3. add coconut milk & salt to taste. cook cook cook until potatoes are very, very soft & break apart very easily, which should be about 20-30 minutes.
4. mix in cauliflower. cook a few minutes until tender, but still firm to the bite.
5. add lime juice!
serve over rice of your choice [i prefer brown as a rule]. makes about 4 servings.
i would've liked to have added some tamarind just to give it an extra "bite," but i forgot to buy some at the store.
the best part is is that when the sweet potatoes start to break apart, they make the curry all rich, sweet & creamy[er]. the garam masala was kind of a weird idea, i guess, but so what? so good! i am so full!
this recipe was inspired by a coworker. she used yellow curry, which i was going to use, except the only yellow curry paste i could find had soybean oil in it. oh well. oh, she also used white sweet potatoes, but those can be kinda hard to find.
x-posted to me journal.